Re: Mozilla Will Stop Developing And Selling Firefox OS Smartphones

From: fluxy <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 01:11:50 +0400

Hello,
I find it worrying to see firefox fail so badly after a half-baked effort.
Firefox OS lags behind Android and iOS, and expectedly so, because of
the relative maturity of these operating systems.

My interest in Firefox OS stems from both a philosophical and a
developer point of view.

While Mobile Computing is taking a massive shot at desktop computing,
the diversity of operating systems is extremely limited on mobile,
with a strong reliance on closed market places. Both Google Android
and iOS app markets impose the 30/70 split on mobile software
developers / service providers [1] [2] [3].

With Firefox OS, and their software distribution model, things can be
different [4].
I use the word can rather than “might have been” because the project
is not dead, the smartphone business model is (at least by Mozilla)
[5].

The other nice thing about Firefox OS, is that since it can actually
work at all on very low-end devices, at some point it could have been
the OS to use when someone's phone becomes unsupported (no more
possible Android updates) – like installing lxde on a low-end desktop.

Anyhow, for those interested, you can have the Firefox OS “experience”
on Android as a homescreen launcher (no separate OS). It is slightly
laggy on my phone though [6].

[1] https://play.google.com/about/developer-distribution-agreement.html
[2] https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/112622
[3] https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/