Re: Google Apps (mail) vs self-hosted mail

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 23:04:06 +0400

Hi SM,

On 12/04/2015 03:54 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> It is better to host your own mail server if you have email data which
> you would like to keep private. If your email data was on those servers
> since the last four years it is likely that some of the data might have
> been intercepted even if the mail traffic was encrypted. It is a lot of
> effort to maintain a mail server mainly because it is not easy to
> identify unwanted messages (e.g. spam). I don't have a good estimate of
> the number of hours of work a week as it depends on the level of
> experience.

Thank you. I will restart with a test server, getting the building
blocks of an email server. I'll try to get as much information as I can
on spam-fighting.

On the comment about data interception, that would apply to cloud
servers too, right? That being said, even a physical server in a
datacenter is not completely secure. Therefore, what is the best option
of having full control over "hosted" data.

- I blog at HACKLOG.mu.