Re: Google Apps (mail) vs self-hosted mail

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 03:54:12 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 02:07 04-12-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Today I use email a lot more than I did four years ago. I realize
>that I have so much of my data on Google's servers rather than my
>own. That makes me wonder if I should re-host my emails. I want to
>have your opinions, know from your experience, what more I should
>consider except that currently my emails are not mine since they are
>not on my servers.

It is better to host your own mail server if you have email data
which you would like to keep private. If your email data was on
those servers since the last four years it is likely that some of the
data might have been intercepted even if the mail traffic was
encrypted. It is a lot of effort to maintain a mail server mainly
because it is not easy to identify unwanted messages (e.g. spam). I
don't have a good estimate of the number of hours of work a week as
it depends on the level of experience.