Re: Orange Klif & Firefox OS review

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 17:27:09 -0800

Hi Mike,
At 01:30 25-11-2015, Jules Mike Giovanni wrote:
>I did notice that you both raise an important point about the lack of
>application for the firefox OS and also the low specs of the Orange
>Klif.

The review was about what I would recommend for an average user. The
lack of applications is a disadvantage as the average user would not
have the skills to develop applications for the mobile phone.

>Apps in firefox OS are created using web technologies that some of us
>are familiar with; HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. A framework is offered,
>if I'm not mistaken, where the "web" app can communicate with the device
>native functionalities.

An app should be able to access the following:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Build/App_permissions I
didn't mention it in the review as I did not have the time to write an app.

>When I was coding some applications for Android, I had the choice to
>either go for a full-native approach in Java or hybrid approach using
>web technologies (HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript). I had the chance to
>review the pros and cons of both approach with the apparent exposure
>that full-native applications tend to perform better than its hybrid
>counterpart. However, the rise of hybrid apps for android is apparent
>with solid frameworks like Ionic, Sencha Touch and Intel XDK.

I prefer native as it is better in terms of performance. If I use a
framework I would have to deal with its bugs. :-) At the moment, I
don't know enough about the pros and cons of the frameworks to
comment about that.

>In my opinion, as soon as firefox OS enters the market fully and becomes
>a competitor to android, ubuntu and iOS, we will see a definite rise in
>the number of mobile applications for it. The simple fact being that
>many of the hybrid apps created already for android can be reworked to
>support firefox OS in a short period of time. Unfortunately, your
>favorite native apps from android and iOS will take some time to enter
>the firefox OS scene.

Is it worth covering Firefox OS, Android and iOS? The local market
seems more about Android. It is much more work to cover three
operating systems and maintain the same functionality across all of
them. My preference would be to choose one of them and develop on
it. Otherwise, it is like doing a little of everything without
gaining the expertise to remain competitive.