Re: Reference latency values towards international servers

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 12:30:42 -0800

Hi Mike,
At 10:19 24-11-2015, Jules Mike Giovanni wrote:
>I would like to perform a battery of tests on my latency as an online
>gamer towards some international servers. However, I do not have any
>actual (only my past latency results) reference latency values I can
>compare to.
>
>Will it be possible to get some reference latency values for some
>international servers from these geographical locations:
>- North America ( any server will suffice )
>- South America ( Brazil )
>- Europe ( any server will suffice )
>- Asia ( Russia, India, Japan, South Korea, China, Singapore, Thailand
>)

The latency to Europe is about 250 ms. The latency to North America
would be around 330 ms. The latency to Asia is about 135 ms. You
could get 100 ms for locations such as India or Singapore. I am not
sure about the latency to China, Russia or South America.

>Moreover, I will be very thankful if you could provide us with any
>related information on the topic (latency towards international
>servers).

There are different routes which can be used for your connection to
the (remote) server. A longer route will increase the latency. Some
routes might be cheaper; hence this being a business decision instead
of one about choosing the route with the lowest latency.

A regulator usually monitors the "quality of service" and should be
able to provide an average latency to different locations. I suggest
contacting the Information and Communication Technologies Authority,
if you have not done that, and ask for some statistics about latency.