Re: National ID Card application

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:58:30 -0800

Hi Rajnish,
At 08:18 24-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I visited the website of the Ministry of
>Technology, Communication and Innovation (MTCI),
>and did not find any mention of "freeze"
>regarding the recording of fingerprints. Nothing
>in the news section of the MTCI website as well.
>Meanwhile, www.mnic.mu remains unavailable to
>anyone wishing to have details and clarification
>on the National Identity Card, the collection,
>processing and storage of biometric data.

I visited the web site of the Ministry of
Technology, Communication and Innovation. The
news section contains three news items; they are
all from the year 2012. The "Highlights"
section displays a notice about a vacancy for the
post of Stores Attendant. Although the topic of
the National Identity Card has been in the news
several times over the year there isn't any
information about the identity card on the web
site of the Ministry of Technology, Communication
and Innovation. The www.mnic.mu web site is
still unreachable. It was reported in L'Express
that "La cour a également indiqué qu’il n’aura
pas à donner ses empreintes, en attendant la décision finale du Conseil privé".

Is the person applying for a National Identity
Card required to provide his/her fingerprints?