National ID Card application

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:18:53 +0400

Dear Rajnish,

I read on lexpress.mu [1] that "la collecte d’empreintes gelée
temporairement".

I visited the website of the Ministry of Technology, Communication and
Innovation (MTCI), and did not find any mention of "freeze" regarding
the recording of fingerprints. Nothing in the news section of the MTCI
website as well. Meanwhile, www.mnic.mu remains unavailable to anyone
wishing to have details and clarification on the National Identity Card,
the collection, processing and storage of biometric data.

I would like to know that in light of the "freeze" as mentioned in the
press, can a citizen apply for the National Identity Card without having
to give his fingerprints?

I hope you will answer the question in a timely manner.

[1]
http://www.lexpress.mu/article/272052/carte-didentite-collecte-dempreintes-gelee-temporairement

Thank you & regards,

- I blog at HACKLOG.mu.