Re: Encrypting my DNS traffic

From: Loganaden Velvindron <logan_at_afrinic.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:52:41 +0400

On 11/11/15 12:52 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi Logan,
>
> I read http://logan.hackers.mu/2015/11/encrypt-my-dns There is the
> following: "I use Internet Banking because my bank forced me to". How
> did your bank force you to do that? Why would I use DNSCrypt if some
> agency can still take the information from the DNS server?

They told me that I can now benefit from mobile banking, and that I
should avoid going to their regional offices. Of course, they said so
politely.

A agency can still force an operator of DNS server to hand over the
logs. However, here we've eliminated the ability of getting the
information right away by snopping on the communication lines between
the customers, and the DNS servers. They would have to go through extra
steps to force the DNS operator to hand over this kind of information.

However, this is why I personally believe that projects such as
https://www.opennicproject.org/ represent a huge boon for Internet Users
who care about their privacy. A 2nd phase might be to move to OpenNIC
instead of OpenDNS :)

> The blog article is simplified in a way which I found confusing. It
> does not contain information which would help me understand the topic
> you wrote about.

Do you think a diagram would help :p ?