Re: News web sites

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 04:04:08 -0800

Hi all,

After going through the website (lexpress.mu), the first thing that
struck me was; Why is there an advertising above the header? It feels
really awkward as the only times I experienced this is when a website
was wrapped by another website or when you are using a free hosting and
the hosting provider adds advertising on your website. Pushing all the
content down for the sake of a single advertising is not a great user
experience as it means more scrolling for the user.

The site is very eye-candy and it hurts to be honest. It is very hard to
focus on a particular thing. Every single element on the website seems
to be competing with each other for attention from the user almost
making every single of them on the same level of importance which should
not be the case in my opinion. I felt like closing the website because
the site was not helping my eyes flow through it.

On the front page, I noticed missing areas. I don't know if it was
intentional or not, if an advertising was on its way from Germany in a
plane. For instance, on left hand side of the "Politique" block, there
is just nothing. If we consider that someone reads from top to bottom,
left to right, it can seriously affect the user. This strikes as a bug
to many users and to me also.

On another note, I feel that all the blocks are too big. The overall
design feels a bit like a metro design. Sometimes the blocks are so big
that the content that is supposed to be in them does not fit properly.
If we look at the "Featured" (why is it in English is another thing)
block, we can notice that most of the pictures are of low quality and
this creates this annoying "pixelated" effect.

Back to the advertising, I feel it is not contextualized to the page I
find myself on. As a user then, I will look for ways to get rid of it
because it is disrupting (distracting, irrelevant) my experience of the
website and not enhancing it.

Kind regards, Mike

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class