Re: Latency Test with www.facebook.com

From: Kevin Beaumont <kevin.beaumont_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:48:37 +0000

It's bandwidth contention coming out of Mauritius (which also shares the
same underseas cables with other countries).

Different ISPs have been dramatically increasing sold bandwidth (not just
on Mauritius) which has caused extreme congestion issues. Some providers
have increased residential bandwidth by ten times, along with providing
free access to Facebook etc. Asia is a particular problem, once you hit
Malaysia traffic plunges off a cliff.

We have a business in Mauritius, we ended up getting around latency issues
by paying for MPLS private circuits (we basically pay to reserve portions
of the undersea fibres). Doing this we've returned speeds to 100ms or so.