RE: No evidence of engagement

From: Eddy Young Tie Yang <jeyoung_at_priscimon.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 21:31:56 +0000

Hi all,

This is quite concerning, given the country's cyber-island aspirations. And,
judging from the collective experience of this list, the Open Data
initiative (and, in fact, the entire development of ICT) looks like an
uphill struggle.

When did it go wrong? Back in 2000, the BPML (then MFA) was given the reign
of realising the cyber-island dream. During my time working there, we were
very engaged in popularising Internet access. We were responsible for
building the "cyber coach" and toured the island on it. Granted, on many
occasions, the stops in villages were just excuses for government
propaganda, but at the time one could sense a real drive behind the
cyber-island concept. In fact, MFA (or part of) turned into the BPML and
oversaw the development of Ebene, so what happened next?

Regards,
Eddy