No evidence of engagement

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 12:30:25 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 11:34 02-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>My opinion was never asked regarding HPC needs. In fact, to a
>question of mine during the World

Thank you for answering the question.

> Telecommunication & Information Society Day 2015, Dr Arjoon
> Suddhoo, Executive Direcor, Mauritius Research Council (MRC),
> replied that the MRC should collaborate with user groups and
> individuals more frequently. I informed him that there is a Linux
> User Group in Mauritius. Now, I call that as having deaf ears
> because in front of the audience, back in May 2015, Dr Suddhoo may
> have mentioned "future engagement with user groups & individuals"
> but the MRC did not consider inviting people from such groups for
> talks regarding the HPC needs. Some times all people think of is
> having high-profile figures around rather than having a bunch of
> people who actually have the potential of getting things done.
>
>It's not difficult to understand why the ICT industry is stagnant in
>Mauritius and that ICT remains mostly a story about call-centres in Mauritius.

I agree that ICT remains mostly a story about call-centres.

>I would say the HPC is just another project in the "to-do list" of
>the Mauritius Research Council. I do not see real enthusiasm &
>commitment to harness its potential for encouraging Research &
>Development in Mauritius.

I was surprised that you asked about High Performance Computing (HPC)
during the Open Data workshop. I assume that it was because the
reply to your question during the World Telecommunications &
Information Society Day workshop was that The Linux User Group would
be invited to the HPC event; and that the Linux User Group did not
get invited. An official from the World Bank stated that, within the
context of Open Data, "there is no evidence of engagement by
individual ministries". An approach without engagement is better
suited for a pre-internet era.

Did you see anyone in Mauritius using internet-related research
published by academics or individuals from local companies?