Re: Internet related questions to be asked in the National Assembly

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 23:34:21 +0400

Hi SM,

On 11/02/2015 10:48 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Avinash Meetoo [1] sent the following comment when I asked about
> internet speed: "I'm sure that better bandwidth will be part of the
> issues to be covered". My opinion from the above is that the ICT
> Advisory Council has never discussed about internet speed over the last
> eight months.

Bureaucracy has been hampering a lot in the past months and I see a
gloomy future.

> According to http://issuu.com/mrcouncil/docs/hpc_leaflet_programme_final
> the ICT Advisory Council is working on High Performance Computing
> needs. Were you asked for an opinion about that?

My opinion was never asked regarding HPC needs. In fact, to a question
of mine during the World Telecommunication & Information Society Day
2015, Dr Arjoon Suddhoo, Executive Direcor, Mauritius Research Council
(MRC), replied that the MRC should collaborate with user groups and
individuals more frequently. I informed him that there is a Linux User
Group in Mauritius. Now, I call that as having deaf ears because in
front of the audience, back in May 2015, Dr Suddhoo may have mentioned
"future engagement with user groups & individuals" but the MRC did not
consider inviting people from such groups for talks regarding the HPC
needs. Some times all people think of is having high-profile figures
around rather than having a bunch of people who actually have the
potential of getting things done.

It's not difficult to understand why the ICT industry is stagnant in
Mauritius and that ICT remains mostly a story about call-centres in
Mauritius.

I would say the HPC is just another project in the "to-do list" of the
Mauritius Research Council. I do not see real enthusiasm & commitment to
harness its potential for encouraging Research & Development in Mauritius.

I am copying the MRC in this thread so that they may comment if anything
I mentioned above is not correct.

> On 21 October, the Chairperson [2] of the ICT Advisory Council stated
> that: [he has] "made a request for the latest ICTA reports to be
> circulated to all members of the Council". As you have not received any
> of the "annual reports", it looks like the request of the Chairperson of
> the ICT Advisory Council has been ignored by the Ministry of Technology,
> Communication and Innovation. I'll copy this message to the other
> members of the ICT Advisory Council as I would like to have their
> opinion about this.

I will let other members of the council react on this comment.