Re: Setting up an association

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 08:40:46 -0700

Hi Jean-Philippe, Ish, LOgan,

At 05:41 27-10-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Yes. We'll need the Prime Minister's Office approval for use of
>'Mauritius' in the association's name.
>
>What are the first things that we need to do? Should we formally
>list member names, contact details, or write down association rules
>etc? I mean if we enumerate the tasks to be done, we might assign those tasks.

I agree with what Jean-Philippe wrote about the name of the association.

The first step to do is to write down the rules of the
association. The next step is to find out who is interested in being
members of the association.

At 05:43 27-10-2015, Logan wrote:
>Based on viewer demographic, I would suggest trying to see how we can
>get 15 year old who is getting a large latency when playing Counter
>Strike to join us. As far as I know, we need the parent's signature.

I am open to discussing about whether a 15-year old should be a
member or not if there are persons of that age interested in
discussing about how to promote the development in Mauritius.

>By making it clear that it's a no string attach membership fee. For
>example, the OpenBSD Foundation accepts donations, provided that they
>are no conditions attached. Money is used for furthering the goals of
>the association, not of companies or individual users.

We are discussing about setting up an association in Mauritius. The
rules in Mauritius are different from the rules which are applicable
to a foundation in another country. I agree that the funds should be
used to further the goals of the association and not companies.

At 03:28 27-10-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I would say, the association represents internet users. Companies
>have other associations that represent them in various ways. They
>just have to have a membership there. However, if a company wishes
>to promote the development of internet in Mauritius, sure, they can
>sponsor our activities. No endorsement should be expected in return though.

I agree with the above.

>People should merit recognition based on their contribution towards
>the association. Contributions would mean work in the advancement of
>internet in Mauritius, not their personal gains. I suggest that any
>conflict of interest should be brought forward prior to engagement
>in activities.

I agree with the suggestion about conflict of interest. It has been
proposed that the membership be open to anyone in Mauritius. The
members will be choosing the officials of the proposed
association. I cannot think of any way to ensure that a person is
chosen based on his/her contribution towards the association.