Re: Setting up an association

From: Logan <logan_at_afrinic.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:43:48 +0400

On 10/27/15 1:55 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hi Jean-Philippe,
>
> We previously discussed about setting up an association. You were the
> first person who put in the effort in writing the document for an
> association. I would like you to be part of the association as I
> believe that we need people who can put in the effort.
>
> I'll propose the following for the association.
>
> 1. The objective of the association is to promote the development of
> the internet in Mauritius.
>
> 2. Membership is open to anyone in Mauritius over the age of 18.

Based on viewer demographic, I would suggest trying to see how we can
get 15 year old who is getting a large latency when playing Counter
Strike to join us. As far as I know, we need the parent's signature.

> 3. The membership will elect five of its members on the executive
> committee.
>
> 4. The executive committee will have a President, Secretary, a
> Treasurer and
> two executive members.
>
> 5. The association shall operate in a transparent manner.
>
> There are some issues which we should consider:
>
> (a) Will the association be representing companies in Mauritius or
> internet users
> in Mauritius?

I would suggest both. Companies are interested to grow their bottomline,
and many are facing the same problems as individual users.

> (b) How will we prevent a few persons from taking control of the
> association
> to further their financial interests?

By making it clear that it's a no string attach membership fee. For
example, the OpenBSD Foundation accepts donations, provided that they
are no conditions attached. Money is used for furthering the goals of
the association, not of companies or individual users.