Re: Introduction (was: subscribe)

From: Nishal Goburdhan <nishal_at_controlfreak.co.za>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:53:56 +0200

On 23 Oct 2015, at 18:13, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Hi Nishal,
>
> The link which you provided does not say much. There isn't, for
> example, any information about affiliation. Could you please provide
> some information about your interests in the internet in Mauritius?

hi SM,

the link to the subscription on the mailing list didn’t say much
either; other than this being a public mailing list. i didn’t know
i’d need to provide two forms of id, a DNA sample, and verifiable
next-of-kin. :-)

if you’re truly interested in me, then know that i’m interested in
the internet, in general. i have a small understanding of a small part
of its operations; and because i understand, that something that can
happen in your corner of what you think is the internet, might
potentially impact me (or the other way around), i think it’s
important to have, as wide a view as possible. i thought this group
might help me improve that view. or, perhaps, there might be people
here that might find someone i have to say interesting; i could be
wrong.

in truth, i didn’t know about your list. one of your subscribers
asked me to subscribe to comment on something i do know a little about;
IXPs.

> I had to explain to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of
> Technology, Communication and Innovation that there is a requirement
> of transparency for this group.

i can respect that you do not want anonymous subscribers to your mailing
list. i’m not sure what your ministry has to do with the names on a
mailing list, that’s hosted in a country where it has no legal
jurisdiction though, but frankly that’s of very little interest to
me… :-)

> It will be viewed as favoritism if I don't ask you for the above
> information.

noted; i hope my answer about “interests” was suitable.

> Would you it also be possible for you to use a business email address?

so, while i understand your requirement for verifiable identity, since i
don’t purport to speak for anyone, other than myself through this
intended subscription, i’m not certain why this is a requirement? if
it’s required that i represent a business interest in mauritius, then
i’ll respectfully rescind my request to join your mailing list, as i
have none.

happy deliberations,
—n.