Emtel Airbox Latency (was: Mauritius Internet Exchange Point Adventures)

From: Daniel Shaw <daniel_at_afrinic.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 00:13:26 +0400

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 07:01:34PM +0000, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 6:52 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't have access to a FTTA connection to do the test in reverse [1]. I
> > don't know why you are getting packet loss. I would not conclude that
> > "more than 3/5 of the traffic is lost" because of the results of your
> > test. You commented that
>
> The high packet loss is worrying for wireless connections. It slows down

It might be worrying for the person on the end, but it *can* be normal
for a wireless connection, depending on weather, humidity, wind, dust,
RF interference, distance between antennas, high-site/cell load (number
of clients), backhaul load (bandwidth), etc. etc.

One onc off ping test of a few packets is meaningless, especially with
any kind of wireless technology.

> We need more tests to determine if it's only occasional, or occuring
> systemmatically.

Precisely. I recommend long running mtr in a terminal/screen session
and/or smokeping.

- Daniel