Re: Laws to fight fake facebook profiles in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:27:28 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 08:29 07-10-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I took it from what lexpress.mu wrote "...l'Etat se tournera vers la
>Californie."
>
>I should not have added Facebook HQ, which I thought would clarify the line.
>
>I find it weird that the Mauritian Government would request help
>from the State of California while Facebook HQ should entertain
>requests properly done by Cyber Crime Unit.

This is the reply from the Minister of Technology, Communication and
Innovation:

   "A committee has also been set up within my Ministry with the assistance of
    the SLO for Mauritius to seek Mutual Legal Assistance from the State of
    California, so that in cases where there are harmful and illegal contents
    on Facebook in Mauritius, not only those contents may be deleted, but the
    author of those contents will also be identified and evidence could also
    be gathered to prosecute the author, promptly."

The reply (please see entire reply) contains the following about the
assistance from the State of California: "be able to achieve the
objectives which we [the Ministry] are setting ourselves to achieve".