Re: Biometric ID Card

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:52:00 +0400

Hello SM,

On 2015-09-14 23:38, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Why does a photo have to be stored in a Central Population
> Database?

I quote from the Supreme Court transcript in the case Jugnauth vs State
of Mauritius;

Question by Mr. R. Badhain: "Yes, I understand, Mr. Pavaday, but do you
agree that you are taking a specific type of photograph which allows for
the biometric extraction of features and which are then kept in a
database, yes or no?

Answer by Mr. G. Pavaday: "Yes. We are keeping the photograph in a
database."

According to me the only reason to have a photo in a database is to be
able to use it for matching purposes. However, the Supreme Court
judgement was against any storage of biometric data. Therefore my
question is, shouldn't this database of photographs be destroyed as
well?