Re: Biometric ID Card

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:38:18 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 03:46 14-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Nope. I was not interviewed by Week-End and I was unaware of any
>article until someone shared it on Facebook. I read that the photo
>saved is argued as being a "JPEG" only. It is not sufficient as
>information. What were the technicalities of the "biometric" photo
>then? I can read something, then write my opinion on my blog. However,

A photograph of a person can be viewed as a property [1] of the
person. Arguing that it is a "JPEG" is not relevant unless we are
discussing about the specifications of a system. A database of
photographs can be used to identify whether a person is in that
database. There are several legal questions regarding such a
database. Why does a photo have to be stored in a Central Population Database?

The following is from 1998:

   "It is also observed that some data on the various databases lack
consistency
    and the absence of a common unique identifier makes it tedious to enable a
    timely and efficient use of the national people information.
Examples include
    the computer system at the Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital that does not make use
    of the NIC number as a primary identifier; and the people address
on the NIC
    system that is captured once but rarely updated."

A person who took the Database 101 course would be aware of the
considerations in choosing a primary key for a (database) table. It
is convenient to link all the databases together. It is not a good
idea though as it could expose a lot of sensitive information about a
person if there is a breach.

There following is from an Audit report [2]:

   "Access rights were not properly managed. Active users in the
    System exceeded the number of officers servicing respective Units.
    Users had access with two different login ID. Access Rights were
    not removed in respect of Officers whose roles had changed.
    Common login ID was still being used by different Officers."

Although the above is not directly related to the topic, it might
give an idea of the security issues which can affect access control.

1. The word is described as "a thing or things belonging to
someone". I should use a better definition to express this correctly.
2.
http://nao.govmu.org/English/ReportsandPublications/Pages/AnnualReport-yr2014-mtius.aspx