Re: Banning of Facebook

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:04:33 -0700

Hi Ish,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. It looks like Logan declined to
provide his opinion about blocking Facebook.

At 02:54 11-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>The real cause of "social unrest" are racial comments. Those
>comments could be on Facebook, Twitter, free web pages, through mass
>emails, etc. Should we then ban all of them? Facebook became an easy
>prey since it's the most popular in Mauritius and has a large audience.
>
>We should not apply fixes and workarounds and think the problem as solved.

Blocking web sites or social networks is usually viewed as
censorship. It harms the reputation [1] of a country when its
political appointees decide to block a social network. According to
press reports the police has been able to identify the persons who
sent messages which are in breach of Section 46. As you mentioned,
people will use other social networks if one of them is blocked.

1.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyoursay/2007/11/prince_and_free_speech.html