Re: Banning of Facebook

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 13:54:39 +0400

Hi SM,

On 09/11/2015 01:33 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I would like to have your opinion as a member of the ICT Advisory
> Council about the following question: Should Facebook be blocked if a
> few persons use it to send messages which might cause to social unrest?

In my opinion, no. If I am asked during a Council meeting, I will not
favor a Facebook ban under any circumstance for the simple reason that
Facebook is just a tool/medium and not the cause of the problem.

The real cause of "social unrest" are racial comments. Those comments
could be on Facebook, Twitter, free web pages, through mass emails, etc.
Should we then ban all of them? Facebook became an easy prey since it's
the most popular in Mauritius and has a large audience.

We should not apply fixes and workarounds and think the problem as solved.

> Facebook data for government requests between 2013 and 2014 shows that
> there wasn't any request from Mauritius. The blog article mentions that
> if a person is convicted under the above clause he/she faces a heavy
> fine and imprisonment. According to a news article from defimedia there
> was one conviction under Section 46 in a case which was reported in 2012.

The Cyber Crime Unit might not request data from Facebook if the person
has admitted to own the Facebook account and having written those
comments and that his/her lawyer did not resist/contest evidence brought
forward by Police.