Re: Evolution of Job Market in Mauritius Today

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:42:39 +0400

Hi SM,

On 09/10/2015 10:54 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> There is an article written by Winley Vellin about "Evolution of Job
> Market in Mauritius Today".
>
> "Search for the company on their social media pages and make sure to
> like some
> of their posts, leave a comment or two."
>
> Would you hire a person who did some "likes" on social media before
> applying for a job or would you consider that the person is "giving an
> appearance which is different from the true one"?

I have taken part in the selection of candidates to some extent. The
social networks are good sources to know about the behavior of a person.
I would not be interested in the like or comment of someone on my
company's page when the person recently applied. I'd rather study the
person's behavior vis-à-vis happenings during the past months; through
his comments on pages of news channels or similar groups. On Facebook,
the "likes" do not speak much. However, the language used in comments
speak a lot.

Therefore comments over past months where the person wouldn't be doing
something to attract company's attention, would reveal the true appearance.

> "Many recruiters prefer finding talent via Facebook and LinkedIn."
>
> Some recruiters will do a Facebook search to find out more about a
> person. Some people might not have an adequate understanding of what
> information is visible [1][2]. As an experiment you could search on
> your name to find out what information is available. The person might
> not look genuine if the results are too good to be true.

I agree with you.

I once saw the CV of someone, which was "impressive" if we'd go by the
text written only. However, after searching about the person on the
internet, especially on the social networks, it was as if two different
persons.

> Nowadays, it is important for a person to have strong communication
> skills. Social media provides you with the means to communicate your
> knowledge and whether you are a suitable candidate for the job.

I agree.