Re: Biometric ID Card

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:18:48 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 10:04 AM 8/20/2015, SHELLY HERMIA BHUJUN wrote:
>1. I have head that the Government is going to seek foreign experts
>advice regarding the destruction of biometric data.
>I was wondering who are the person in charge of keeping the
>biometric data safe?
>Were they local experts? Aren't there local experts that can handle
>such matter/issue?

The person in charge of keeping the biometric data safe is probably a
government officer. I would not describe the person as an
expert. I assume that he or she would either have been trained or
already have the relevant knowledge about what must be done to keep
the data safe.

I don't see why local people cannot handle the destruction of the
biometric data. In theory, local people should already have part of
the required knowledge if they are currently responsible for keeping
that data safe.

>2. How can they ensure that they will indeed delete the data?

The only way I can think of is to make the process as transparent as possible.

>3. Why is the data protection commissioner reacting now?
>Where was she when the Government decided to implement the biometric ID card.

I don't know whether the Data Protection Commissioner reacted as I
have not been reading the newspapers.

The process for such a project would be:

   (a) Request advice from the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner

   (b) Request advice from the State Law Office

   (c) Implement the project once (a) and (b) has been done and there
aren't any issues.