Re: Request to represent the MIU

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 10:41:55 +0400

Hello Om,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:29 AM, OMDEEP GOKHOOL
<omdeep.gokhool1_at_umail.uom.ac.mu> wrote:

> "As for background on the event – we’d like to hear from you what might be
> most useful for your contacts to learn about advocating for a FOIA or
> implementing one, alternative routes and opportunities for making
> information more publicly accessible. "
>
> Since I will be representing the MIU I want to have ideas and suggestions
> fro interested members. As for sharing the notes of the meeting I informed
> her about the transparency of this mailing list and I will share the notes.

Sorry for the late reply & thumbs up again for taking the initiative.

I look at it this way; if there is an Open Government Data (OGD)
*Policy* the government could release information (which is already
available to public) in an open format. OGD does not guarantee access
to information but only emphasizes format which is application
neutral. To ensure access to information we should also push forward a
Freedom of Information Act. The latter was mentioned in recent
speeches by ministers but apart from that I haven't seen any concrete
work happening. At a later stage we could hear that there were *public
consultations* without really consulting the public.

The comment by Ms Kathleen contains the following:

    [...] opportunities for making information more publicly accessible [...]

I see that as freedom of information :)

- Geek by birth, Linux by choice
- I blog at HACKLOG.in