Re: OTAM want to replace Mauritians with cheap labour !

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 09:40:39 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 06:20 AM 8/8/2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>Folks, we have to interpret what is being suggested here:
>
>TO hire a skilled foreigner: an employer needs to pay around Rs 30k
>for his monthly salary. That's the minimum amount.
>
>Now, what OTAM is suggesting is the following: remove the 30k minimum
>salary, and let employers do as they please. In other words, if they
>can get a Linux system administrator who will come to work for 6k, or
>a web designer who will work for 4k/month, they want to make it
>legally possible !

The view of Outsourcing and Telecommunications Association of
Mauritius (OTAM) and the Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community
(MSCC) is that "We lack manpower to push forward the ICT/BPO
sector". OTAM suggested that "Eliminating barriers and attracting
foreign workers is certainly the way forward for the ICT/BPO sector.
Take, for example, the textile sector".

Will software developers and system administrators in Mauritius be
offered a decent monthly salary when it will be possible to pay a
foreign worker Rs 6,000 a month?

I read http://logan.hackers.mu/2015/08/danger-mauritius I know
several cases of persons outside Mauritius who have left well-known
companies after a year or so for another company where they are
offered a better salary. I would not call that disloyalty. That
ability is, as you mentioned, known as negotiation.