Re: Use of University mail

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 06:32:33 -0700

Hello,
At 01:36 19-07-2015, Om Gokhool wrote:
>I agree the topics on here is more than just about configuring a
>computer. This group has been founded to gather people who uses
>internet ,that is stakeholders irrespective of their educational or
>vocational background, hence it will be indeed selfish to mention
>money. It is not really too much to ask students to use their
>university mail. Personally I will not mind to use it. The only
>thing that I find not nice is that the rule is being forced on us.

I meant that it would be selfish not to give anything away. Asking
for money is a different matter. I could look at this as: everyone
sells training services and I should do the same. I could look at
this as a means for self-promotion. What a few of us did instead was
to introduce practices which would encourage us not to do that and
not to be dishonest.

There are things which the group should have done from the start. It
is not viable to do that in Mauritius. I pushed for that to be done
gradually. I agree that it is not nice to force a guideline on
people. The change for university students, as the one for inactive
subscribers, is to set a minimum.

>Different members will have different levels of interest on
>different topics, hence you can't really force participation in this
>list. If someone has subscribed to this list ,it

Yes.

> is because they are already interested for the quest but if they
> are dormant for too long after subscribing then I agree it is
> better to drop the load.

A person with a university email address would not be asked to
participate, i.e. the person can remain dormant if he/she wishes.

>If university students are being forced to use their uni mail,
>people working should use their employer provided mail address since
>they are also learning from the mailing list. do you agree ?

If a university student makes a mistake the group can overlook
that. A person who has work experience might not be given that
advantage. University students are still learning whereas people who
are working would be using the information to remain
competitive. The student ratio was 20%. It is unrealistic to ask
the 80% to change their email addresses.