Re: Use of University mail

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 07:25:21 -0700

Hello,
At 06:22 17-07-2015, Om Gokhool wrote:
>I have 3 email address that I use, gmail which is for my personal
>use, second is my university mail which I use solely for university
>related tasks and last my aiesec.net mail which is only for AIESEC
>purposes. I believe everyone subscribing should have the right to
>choose which mail they want to use whether they are students or not.
>Is using my gmail causing inconvenience to this mailing list ?

The messages from your personal email address has not caused any inconvenience.

>As a university student I have never mentioned that my contribution
>to this mailing list is simply "Learning by observation" . Being
>inquisitive by nature I like to learn new things by reading and
>sharing. I have contributed on this mailing not only by observing
>but participating as well.

I do not view your contribution as "learning by observing" as you
have participated at times.

Some technology-related practices in Mauritius are based on
misconceptions. I have interacted with people teaching or who are
students at universities outside Mauritius. The persons used their
university email addresses. It looks like that practice is viewed as
a problem in Mauritius.

You mentioned that students have the right to choose. I would agree
to that if we were only discussing about topics such as how to
configure your computer. The topics we cover on this mailing list
are several levels beyond that. I could choose not to provide the
information for free. I don't do that as it would be selfish. I
don't think that it is too much to ask of a student to subscribe with
his/her university email address if he/she wishes to learn new
things. If the students views using their university email addresses
as a problem the students can still learn by using the web to access
the mailing list.