Re: Learning by observing

From: <cedricpoottaren_at_outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:27:48 +0000

Ish,

> most university students have been saying they are on the Mauritius Internet Users mailing list to "learn by observing".

I am I being considered as a passive member?

>Now, what happens if on this list everyone says they are here to learn by observing? It's good when people clap while others are writing to institutions and getting things done but if those people stop, then what happens to the ones who are learning. I did not know it could take months for people to learn about writing emails

Rest assured that I am learning that some people takes months to learn how to write email alongside you.

Please take into account that I wasn't relating to the fact that some people here are "learning by observing" but instead to S.M's opinion about using institution-assigned email address.

>SM, Shelly and Sruti have repeated again and again and again... If someone does not understand a topic, a word, a phrase, ask about it? Better, do an initial search and ask what is not very clear to you. Yet, we get the *wildcard excuse every time that "we're learning by observing".

Do you believe that I have been answering to threads irrelavantly on the MIU?

Not that I am taking it personally but I find it irrelavant that you said all this in reply to me when I was only giving my opinions about using "uni-email" to S.M

> You know what guys? I am still learning too. I learn new things every day at work. I learn, I practice and I make it an habit.

So do I. So do every people here on this mailing-list. The only difference is that those who do not participate are not experienced enough to share their point of view since lack of experience is lacking in the ability of building up a strong opinion about something.

Not that I am defending them 'cause I believe that the best way to learn is to take part of it. Share what you think about the subject no matter if you are right of wrong. You are here to share knowledge right?

>Sadly, the culture of learning, learning and learning without practice will one day fill the country with uneducated graduates. I'm being harsh, I know, you can say it on my face.

No, are you simply sharing your thoughts. :)

>Now, let's come to the use of uni email. I think it should be applied to full-time students since they are still learning after almost 10 years of schooling (where they already must have learnt English, French and Mathematics).

Huh.. I'll leave that to full time students to decide.

>I guess none of the topics that we discuss here are in non-English or French language and that most of the topics can be easily searched on Google if one understands English pretty well.

Right!

Cédric Poottaren

Software developer

http://jcplaboratory.org

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:13 AM -0700, "Ish Sookun" <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
Hi Cédric,

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM, <cedricpoottaren_at_outlook.com> wrote:

> Look at me for example, I have a full time job, work for myself and I am a
> student at the same time. I really wouldn't find the idea of using my
> college email address here fair. Instead I prefer using my
> _at_jcplaboratory.org email address, this reflects better the position in which
> I am. Moreover, (some) College students prefer to keep the usage of their
> institution-assigned email only to received and send mails related to their
> college work. I wouldn't like to get it messed up by the emails I receive
> from the MIU.

I believe SM's suggestion was more a response to the fact that most
university students have been saying they are on the Mauritius
Internet Users mailing list to "learn by observing". Now, what happens
if on this list everyone says they are here to learn by observing?
It's good when people clap while others are writing to institutions
and getting things done but if those people stop, then what happens to
the ones who are learning. I did not know it could take months for
people to learn about writing emails.

SM, Shelly and Sruti have repeated again and again and again... If
someone does not understand a topic, a word, a phrase, ask about it?
Better, do an initial search and ask what is not very clear to you.
Yet, we get the *wildcard excuse every time that "we're learning by
observing". You know what guys? I am still learning too. I learn new
things every day at work. I learn, I practice and I make it an habit.
Sadly, the culture of learning, learning and learning without practice
will one day fill the country with uneducated graduates. I'm being
harsh, I know, you can say it on my face.

Now, let's come to the use of uni email. I think it should be applied
to full-time students since they are still learning after almost 10
years of schooling (where they already must have learnt English,
French and Mathematics). I guess none of the topics that we discuss
here are in non-English or French language and that most of the topics
can be easily searched on Google if one understands English pretty
well.

So, yes, the mandatory use of uni-email could be subjected to everyone
who say "I am still learning by observing".

- I blog at HACKLOG.in.