Re: [ThisisMauritius.com]

From: Om Gokhool <omgokhool_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 15:06:56 +0400

Hello Irshaad

 I appreciate that you raised the points which were lingering doubts in
your mind. To be frank , these were the 3 main points I always wanted to
raise. Few weeks ago there was a weekly skype meeting. Shelly asked those
interested to send their IDs. I remember we were five participants on that
call where these points were raised. I will comment briefly on each of them.

 1. " Low participation in the mailing list"

During that call I asked what is the point of having over 70 members when
only 3-4 members are participating? The response were interesting. We have
members from various backgrounds and some being experts in specific fields.
We have members other than the 3-4 active ones, who are not participating
in everything but bring on strong points on particular topics depending on
their field of expertise and based on their knowledge.

When an issue is brought forward the members will participate only he or
she is interested and have something to share and debate on. If that person
is not willing to participate in a debate and unhappy about the voted
points ,then we are not to be blamed if he or she never voiced out.
Everybody is welcomed to participate whether technical or not.

2. "Recognition of MIU"

In-spite the MIU being a stakeholder for internet users in Mauritius not
many people have heard of it. I raised the point "How can we reach the
people out there willing to participate ? Should we be on social websites
?" The point of being on social media was already discussed and it was
disapproved for valid reasons.

Rome was not build a day, the MIU is on the rise, hopefully one day it will
be recognised as a group by the law.

3. "communication on the mailing list"

With the rise of instant messaging apps and social networks we have seen
the rise of slang and informal languages. Sadly it has formed part of
Mauritian Culture to be informal when using digital tools. Many here were
unaware how to make proper use of this mailing list and how to communicate
effectively, we have seen members using poor languages and not knowing how
to reply.

For these reasons Ish came up with blog post "Mailing List Netiquette" ,
Sruti mentioned it earlier and shared the link. Instead of devising rules
and so on, we are trying to keep it easy for members to share their views
and also keeping it professionals. You must have noticed a friendly welcome
message being sent to new subscribers and requesting them to go through the
above mentioned blog post.

It was a pleasure to discuss on those points since it was once the issues I
wanted to raise. I will encourage you to join weekly conference calls and
continue participating. Hope what I said is helpful to you.

Regards
--
*Omdeep Gokhool*
*Bsc Applied Computing*