Re: Stepping down from .mu Multi-Stakeholder forum

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:05:35 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 10:31 01-07-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I apologize to you all for taking a major decision without having
>discussed it here before. I have announced the Multi-stakeholder
>forum that I do not wish to participate in further meetings.

Thank you for explaining why you took the decision to step down.

In my opinion, the allegations which were made against Logan and you
are unjustified.

>S. Moonesamy and I, we were asked not to share the Multi-stakeholder
>forum happenings with people outside the "government conference
>room". That made us uneasy and SM repeatedly explained the members
>we operate in a transparent manner and decisions are reached through
>consensus. Some people giggled and could not understand this
>concept. One member said it is not necessary to go back and relate
>everything to your members, they have chosen you, you can decide for them.

I believe that it is not in the interest of the persons on this
mailing list to be kept in the dark. That seems what we are being
asked to do as representatives if we decide about everything without
taking the opinions of our members into consideration. As you
mentioned above, some people do not understand the concepts under
which we operate.

>So folks, I feel very suffocated in an environment where you have to
>beg the Government officials to reply your emails in a timely
>manner. I feel uncomfortable to attend a meeting and not be able to
>report back to fellow members. I feel embarrassed to be crippled by
>the situation where people meet after weeks, have tea & biscuits for
>free and discuss "what is an association" rather than having a let's
>fix the .mu ccTLD attitude. The situation does not seem a pressing
>matter for the Multi-stakeholder forum.

Biscuits are not provided during the meetings of the forum. It is a
very difficult environment. The notion of having well-informed
decisions is unknown to most people. At some point you realize that
it is not worth saying anything. By not saying anything you are
agreeing to decisions which will cause problems in future.

There are different aspects to confidentiality. If you signed an
oath of secrecy you would keep the information which you are given
secret. If information is provided to you on the condition that you
do not disclose it to anyone else, you would keep the information
secret. It would be strange to argue that a trivial matter or
information which is not very sensitive should be kept a secret. The
public interest can override confidentiality.

>failures to limelight. The world has the right to know the dark side
>of ICT in Mauritius.

The dark side of keeping everything a secret are:

   (a) Employees are paid a lower salary as other employers who may
       be willing to pay them more will not know about their skills.

   (b) The consumer cannot take an informed decision even though what is
       written is that the consumer has to ensure that he/she does that.

   (c) It has a negative impact on the security of the internet in
        Mauritius.