Stepping down from .mu Multi-Stakeholder forum

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 21:31:16 +0400

Hello all,

I apologize to you all for taking a major decision without having
discussed it here before. I have announced the Multi-stakeholder forum
that I do not wish to participate in further meetings.

S. Moonesamy and I, we were asked not to share the Multi-stakeholder
forum happenings with people outside the "government conference room".
That made us uneasy and SM repeatedly explained the members we operate
in a transparent manner and decisions are reached through consensus.
Some people giggled and could not understand this concept. One member
said it is not necessary to go back and relate everything to your
members, they have chosen you, you can decide for them.

That particular comment made me very uncomfortable but nevertheless, I
didn't retort to it, otherwise I might have hurt the feelings of some
emotionally week people.

On 26 June 2015, all members of the Multi-stakeholder forum received a
copy of a proposed model of association that will be responsible to
manage the .mu ccTLD. On the same day, that is 26 June 2015, S.
Moonesamy requested the Chair whether the document is confidential and
can be circulated to members of the Mauritius Internet Users. There was
no reply to that email.

On 30 June 2015, I wrote to all members of the Multi-stakeholder forum
and stated that the situation is causing me an embarassment vis-à-vis
members who have selected me to represent them. I re-iterated the
question on transparency. After I sent the message, I received "message
delivery failure" to govmu.org addresses; while message was delivered to
the rest of the members.

I wrote to the National Computer Board today, informing them of an email
issue and to notify me once the service is fixed as I have an important
message to send. I didn't receive any reply from the National Computer
Board.

So folks, I feel very suffocated in an environment where you have to beg
the Government officials to reply your emails in a timely manner. I feel
uncomfortable to attend a meeting and not be able to report back to
fellow members. I feel embarrassed to be crippled by the situation where
people meet after weeks, have tea & biscuits for free and discuss "what
is an association" rather than having a let's fix the .mu ccTLD
attitude. The situation does not seem a pressing matter for the
Multi-stakeholder forum.

Sorry folks. I will have to step down. I will continue strive for a
better .mu but through other channels. I shall continue write & publish
about the mishaps and bring the failures to limelight. The world has the
right to know the dark side of ICT in Mauritius.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.