Re: Facebook account compromised. How?

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:23:46 -0700

Hello,
At 09:16 25-06-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>The title says "Profil Facebook pirate" while
>the story goes like "videos a caractere
>pornographiques circulaient sur sa page". I
>cannot discern if the Facebook profile was
>compromised and pornographic videos were posted
>by the account holder or videos were only
>*shared* on the page. You do not need to
>compromise a Facebook account in order to share something on a person's wall.

I'll comment about the news article in
L'Express. The title is about the President of
the Republic of Mauritius filing a compliant with
the Cybercrime Unit about her Facebook
profile. The article begins with a sentence
about pornographic videos. The second sentence
is about the increase in identity theft. The
third sentence is about the Facebook account of
the President of the Republic of Mauritius being compromised.

The second paragraph is about fake Facebook
profiles. The third paragraph is about the fake
Facebook profiles "causent des inconvénients aux
personnes concernées". The news article ends
with advice about verifying the identity of
people on Facebook by asking for their address and their telephone number.

I don't understand what happened to the Facebook
profile of the President of the Republic of
Mauritius. Some people might mix the fact that
the account has been compromised with the circulation of pornographic videos.

>Let's get back to an important question, if the
>Facebook account of the president did actually
>get compromised, then how? There are many ways
>that a cyber criminal could employ to get hold
>of an account. One of the mechanism would be to
>infect a machine that the person uses.

The news article mentions an investigation is
being carried out. I expected much more
information than that for such a case. The
advice given at the end of the article is not clear.

There is a news article of an account being
compromised at
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/23815868/president-obamas-facebook-twitter-account-hacked
There is another news article at
http://lci.tf1.fr/high-tech/facebook-le-compte-de-sarkozy-encore-pirate-6236893.html
Those news articles are better written than the one in L'Express.