RE: Heathcare practice in Mauritius - WhatsApp

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:25:19 +0400

Hi SM,
> Whatsapp was not designed to be used for sharing healthcare information. It does not guarantee confidentiality even if it might provide privacy features.

I agree but they also mentioned why they took such initiative. I guess they could adopt another way of sharing healthcare information. The better approach would be to use an application designed specifically for sharing healthcare information. The information could therefore be encrypted and stored properly. The doctor assistant application seems to be a good idea.
Maybe the Minister of Health and Quality of Life could help doctors find a better option to share and store healthcare information. I believe they would encourage such projects since the latter helped launching tropicalmiss in Mauritius plus, we are living on a smart island right?
> I do not know whether other application or software was used before this to share healthcare information.
I always thought the medical sector was still into paper work instead of adopting new means of information storage until i read about that.

> A person may believe that it is a good initiative to share healthcare information in this way. Is the person aware what may go wrong? Would the person lose his/her job when that happens? How would the patient react when he/she finds his/her medical information has leaked out and is available on some web site or that other people have access to the medical information and are gossiping about it?
Unfortunately i don't think the person is aware of what's gonna happen if the information is leaked and that he/she might lose his/her job. I am quite skeptical about the patients reaction. The better option would be to inform the doctors of the possible issues that might occur with using Whatsapp or any other applications for sharing healthcare information.

Thank you.