Re: Internet price & access in Mauritius.

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:05:23 -0700

Hi Sun,
At 09:22 24-06-2015, Sun wrote:
>I sent an email to ask if Orange is under any lawful obligation to
>reply to ICTA on complaints by unhappy customers. I also asked by
>mail to ICTA to explain to me how is an ISP allowed to sell two
>packages who's speeds differ by a factor of 20, and have almost the
>same price tag?

 From https://www.icta.mu/consumer/comp_code.htm

   "To better safeguard and protect consumers, the Authority has set up a
    Consumer Complaints Code to help in monitoring and tracking the various
    types of complaints which are lodged. The coding system will be for the
    internal use of the Authority only but will go a long way towards more
    rigorous monitoring of the industry in the interest not just of the
    industry but of the end users."

If there was any lawful obligation the Information and Communication
Technologies Authority would have mentioned it. The following is
from https://www.icta.mu/consumer/complaints_mech.htm

   "The consumer has a responsibility to ensure that he or she is fully aware
    of the terms and conditions governing the purchase of products and services
    and the contract they enter into so that in a competitive
market, consumers
    are indeed making informed choices."

The Information and Communication Technologies Authority receives
information about the offers proposed by Internet Service
Providers. As it does not make that information publicly available
it is not possible for the consumer to know whether the offer the
Internet Service Provider advertises are the same as the one received
by the Information and Communication Technologies Authority.

The Information and Communication Technologies Authority recommends
the following: "It is strongly recommended that consumers provide
evidence that they have indeed sought redress ..." What evidence do
you have about what you may have been told on the phone?