RE: When domains redirect you to a facebook page

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 13:42:22 +0400

Hello,
> Shelly and I discussed about the topic during tonight's weekly call. I'll use www.islandhaze.com as an example. The web site does not look interesting at all. The company has a Facebook page [1]. It is updated regularly. The question which the Facebook users asked is about price [2]. In that example the same question was answered seven times. As this is Mauritius, every teenager is on Facebook and those are the customers of the company. The company does not need a web site for its local customers. It could redirect its web site visitors to Facebook if it does everything in Facebook.
Coming back to what SM and i discussed during the Weekly Skype meeting on Thursday; my opinion was that some companies prefer to use social networks to promote their products rather than using a website because it is the easiest and cheapest way for them to reach their target market. I don't judge companies who would rather interact with their customers using FB or Twitter but i seriously find it unprofessional for a company to have a website which redirects its customers to its FB page. Who knows, maybe they prefer to adopt such approach!
>I do agree with you, but however, I believe it is a nonsense thing to purchase a domain and then redirect it to a Facebook page. Moreover,I usually but don't like to wait when will the Facebook page manager answer to my post requesting for product details, price and so on. I want the information now and I need it to be readily available at my disposal I don't like having to request for it.
I think it depends because the Fb page manager usually responds quickly whenever i have questions. I prefer to visit Fb pages and look at the items being sold because i get to see how the other customers respond and whether they had a pleasant shopping experience etc. Yes, i agree that it's cooler to shop on Fb but like i said it depends on the target market.
For example, as a fashion designer student i won't be sending my CV to the Company's Fb Page via message. I would contact them using their website or via email.
>Furthermore, I do believe that customer approach for a company selling garments and one selling gadgets are to bedifferent.
Yes, i agree but still, it depends.