Re: Is the Internet getting slower?

From: Yuv Joodhisty <locustv2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:05:03 +0400

Hey guys,

Well, i don't think we can say "the whole Internet is getting slower due to
websites containing more and more imagery, videos and other medias."
because Website x cannot affect the loading time of Website y.

I do agree with the fact that most developers are focusing more on the
responsiveness of their websites as well as adding widgets/components to
enhance the user experience. But in absolutely no way, a website's loading
time should be affected by this. I'd blame the developers who actually
focus more on the UI and components of their website rather than their code
base as well as not adopting "best practices". And this applies to both
frontend and backend developers.

Let's take an example on the http://eruption.mu/ website.

If you press F12 and go to the "Resources" tab and open the "Frames" folder
followed by "(eruption.mu/)" and "Scripts", you will get a list of all
javascript files that is being used on this page.

The amount that is being loaded here is indeed "a lot" which means your
browser will make a request to download every single resource present here
which of course affect the loading time. But the loading time can be
improved if the resources which are not needed, onload, are loaded
asynchronously by placing them at the bottom of their body tag. But if you
view the source of eruption.mu all of the assets are being loaded in the
"head" tag.

The above is one of the many ways to improve the speed of websites, on a
frontend side. In addition to that, they could minify and combine their js
into one or multiple bigger js file which would require fewer request to
the server to download files.
This can be applied to images by combining multiple images in 1 .png file
and then use css to clip the images.

And on a backend side of development, developers should adopt "best
practices" such as reusing of objects, using single quotes vs double quotes
as far as possible, breaking out of loops when their statement are met and
much more.

So to reply your questions:

1) To what extent do you think this is true and what can web developers to
to make websites less complex?

- I think i made my point above.

2) What can be done by ISPs both locally and international about it?

- I don't think the ISP can do anything about this. There are no relation
about them and the websites you browse. They only offer you a package which
you agree to pay for.

These are my personal opinion and i may be wrong about my points. Do
correct me if you feel i made mistakes.

I will try to comment a bit about Loganaden's response on "google and
facebook" later.

Regards
Yuv