Re: Is the Internet getting slower?

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:46:06 +0000

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Cédric Poottaren
<cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just read an article on Digital Trends [1] arguing that the whole Internet is getting slower due to websites containing more and more imagery, videos and other medias. Further readings, unveils that additional codings to make websites more responsive is also contributing to make the web slower.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) To what extent do you think this is true and what can web developers to to make websites less complex?

That's relative. A lot of web developers are already optimizing by
stripping whitespaces. However, websites like Google, gmail, and
facebook have already set a high standard for "speed" and
"responsiveness". So others are basically catching on.

> 2) What can be done by ISPs both locally and international about it?
>
> [1] http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/internet-is-getting-slower/

I have an answer, at least for the networking side of things at edge
equipment. It's important to understand that it's a series of factors.