Re: FW: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum‏

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:12:57 +0400

Hi Dan,

On 6/15/15 1:03 AM, Daniel Laeng wrote:

> *MIU Members are spamming the Government - I think this has to stop*

Spam would be sending irrelevant emails to a large number of users (as
targets). The emails on the mailing list were neither irrelevant nor
sent to a large number of users. Those who subscribed to the mailing
list are concerned with the Internet-related topics in Mauritius. Those
who are CC'ed in the multi-stakeholder forum are people who were
nominated/chosen for .mu related discussions.

The emails did not reach other ministries having nothing to do with the
.mu related discussions.

The emails were relevant to the .mu ccTLD discussions.

I would thus, not call those as spam. Neither I would call those as
sending emails to 'government'. Some government officials are part of
the multi-stakeholder forum but they are not the Government.

> The Government has made it clear that they do not want to receive spam
> from MIU members. I've seen very little discussion on here about what
> is going to be done to address this.

Some government & non-government officials expressed a displeasure at
the emails. There is a code of ethics[1] for civil servants that
dictates how to respond to public:

        Public Officers shall understand that, while discharging their
duties, they are doing no favour to members of the public.
They shall diligently, fairly and sympathetically attend to
inquiries from members of the public.

        It is the duty of Public Officers to give to the public any
information required or advice and to provide reasonable
assistance. Public Officers shall help the public to understand
their rights and obligations.

Should public stop asking questions because it displeases some people?

> I have noticed two things on this mailing list:
> **1.* *There are a number of people on the list who have very poor
> understanding of email etiquette.*

I will raise the Mauritian context again. Contacting officials using
email has not been much in the local culture. Neither replies from
government agencies have been part of the culture. Things are changing
gradually.

> 2.* SM and others tend to email government representatives, and CC the
> mailing list. This has a side effect of inviting the entire mailing
> list into the conversation, and advertising the email address of the
> government representative.

People should realize whom to CC when replying to emails. CC'ing other
people when replying to the list only should be avoided.

You CC the mailing list when you want your request to be transparent and
be on record.

> The combination of these points makes spam very likely. The resulting
> spam is hurting the reputation of the MIU.

Spam is irrelevant to this discussion.

> I think the situation could be improved significantly by making sure
> that when somebody clicks [Reply All] on a MIU email, the resulting
> reply should not ever go to a non MIU member.

I agree that people should take care when they click [Reply All].

[1] http://civilservice.govmu.org/English/Documents/Ethics2010.pdf

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.