Re: what constitutes a multi-stakeholder forum ?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 09:30:21 +0400

Hi Logan,

On 6/13/15 12:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> Someone has to chair a multi-stakeholder forum but I think it would
> fail the definition if, for example, only government reps could chair
> or serve as secretariat.

Thank you for sharing the answers from Dr Vint Cerf.

Wikipedia[1] is also considered a reference in Mauritius, let me share
an extract:

        According to Lawrence E. Strickling, U.S. Assistant Secretary for
Communications and Information, and NTIA Administrator, "the
multistakeholder process, ... involves the full involvement of all
stakeholders, consensus-based decision-making and operating in an open,
transparent and accountable manner. A stakeholder refers to an
individual, group, or organization that has a direct or indirect
interest or stake in a particular organization, these may be businesses,
civil society, governments, research institutions, and non-government
organizations.'

Please note the words 'transparent' and 'accountable'.

I could also find the following line in the same article:

        Multistakeholder processes could and should enhance democracy by
increasing opportunities for effective participation by those most
directly impacted by decisions and particularly those at the grassroots
who so often are voiceless in these processes.

I banged my head to stress why we do not need reserved quotas. We need
to allow people rise & form part of a committee based on the
contributions. Still when I received the comment about 'canvassing' I
was like damn we're ages away from the Mauritian mindset to ever change.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistakeholder_governance_model

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.