Re: Open Government Data - datasets

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:57:58 -0700

Hi Nadim,

This is the list of data which you are interested in:

>Operators / Service providers' data
>No. of licensed operators at the Tourism Authority (TA)
>- per sector of activity,
>- per region
>- per rating (hotels etc)
>- per category (restaurants)
>- per activity (excursions)
>
>No; of rooms or roomnights or beds available per each category of
>tourist accommodation
>
>No; of pending licences at any given time (past week, month or quarter).
>
>Average duration of processing / delivering operators' licences
>- Per sector or activity
>
>Arrivals / tourists' data
>No. of arrivals per country / nationality
>No. of arrivals per last boarding / transit airport
>No. of arrivals per airline company
>Breakdown of traveller being single, in couple, with kids.
>Monoparental with kids - State average no. of Adults kids and babies
>or breakdown per group size.
>Breakdown of arrivals per age-group; including minors / children
>Percentage of tourists per occupation type
>Percentage of repeaters (returning travellers) separated between
>those coming for 2nd time and those coming for more than their 2nd time.
>Average spending per country and by service types:
>- Accommodation,
>- Car rental
>- Excursions / Activities
>- Others
>Percentage of spending on pre-booked items vs. on the spot spendings
>Percentage of people having booked their accommodation:
>- Physically at a Brick and mortar agency
>- Online with a Brick and mortar agency
>- Online with an OTA
>- Online directly with hotel / villa / guest house
>Percentage of people staying (or roomnights) in different types of
>accommodation
>Percentage of people staying (or roomnights) in hotels of international brands
>Number or percentage of people renting cars
>- From International agencies / brands Vs From local agencies
>Tourists buying / using local mobile phone cards
>Average duration of stays or amount per groups of duration periods
>Amount of persons coming for medical purposes
>No. of hotels and amount of rooms / roomnights / beds they represent
>having a regular monitoring of their environment impact, at least in
>terms of CO2 / Greenhouse gas emissions

Dan has been reminding us that we have to explain what we intend to
do with the data as it is difficult to get the data if we cannot
provide a reason for it. What is needed is a business case for each
request. In my opinion, we should take into consideration that there
will be resistance to releasing the datasets. I suggest looking into
whether the data is already being collected and where it is being
collected as it can help to assess the level of difficulty in getting
the datasets. I also suggest looking into whether the dataset
requested is Open Government Data. For example, is the Tourism
Authority a government agency?

Open Data is generally raw data. It is difficult to understand
whether there is any value in it. However, what we can ask is raw
data instead of data which we can process easily and get the required
information. We also have to find the appropriate sources for the
data as sometimes the data is not from a single source.

Could you please look at the above data requests from those
angles? It would take me a week to verify the above requests against
information which may already be available.