Mauritius Open Data - copyright

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:30:59 -0700

Dear Mr Stott,

I am writing to you as representative of the
Mauritius Internet Users. I commented about the
copyright which was used by government
agencies. I'll list a few examples below.

The approach to copyright by the State of
Mauritius has been carried out in a haphazard
manner. If I am not mistaken the Copyright Act
2014 does not cover "database rights". I doubt
that there is a good understanding of the concept
of "public domain". The issue is that this is
not a technology question and it has been handled under "arts and culture".

The copyright for the Government Web Portal is at
http://www.govmu.org/English/Pages/default.aspx
The copyright notice mentions 'The Government of
Mauritius (the “State”)' and sets restrictions on
use, e.g. material not used in "misleading context".

The copyright of National Data Archive is (
http://nada.statsmauritius.govmu.org/index.php/catalog
)is "Copyright © 2014 Statistics Mauritius, All
rights reserved". I would not find any other
information about copyright or license.

The copyright of the Supreme Court (
http://supremecourt.govmu.org/ ) is "Copyright ©
2010 The Supreme Court of Mauritius. All Rights
Reserved". The "Intellectual property and
copyright" has restrictions such as the material
must be used accurately and not used in a misleading context.

The copyright of the Information and
Communication Technologies Authority (www.icta.mu
) is "Information and Communication Technologies Authority of Mauritius".

The copyright of the Mauritius Oceanography
Institute ( http://moi.govmu.org/ ) is "Mauritius Oceanography Institute".

The copyright of the Mauritius Meteorologic
Services ( http://metservice.intnet.mu/ ) is
"Mauritius Meteorological Services".

The copyright of the National Archives (
http://nationalarchives.govmu.org ) is "National Archives of Mauritius".