Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:03:46 -0700

Hello,
At 11:15 03-06-2015, Chamburn Radha wrote:
>I am still reading the document but based on this answer, I know
>that jumbo and other hypermarkets take thumbprints of people in
>cases that these people have stolen something and even though after
>paying for the stolen item they will still take the thumbprint as
>well as other personal details as well. I know that as I remember
>that I knew someone who worked at jumbo and was telling my mom what
>happens to people who steal stuffs there

I could not find anything in the Data Protection Act which says that
hypermarkets can require a person's fingerprint if he or she is
accused of theft.

> and it was in the early year of 2000. Also I know that banks as
> well keep thumbprints and when people come to take out their money
> or even for deposit they have to put a thumb in the signature space.
>
>So do they have the right to do that?

A long time ago, there were old people who did not know how to sign a
document which required a signature. The old people would put a
thumbprint on the document instead of a signature. Such a case might
be covered under Section 24 of the Data Protection Act. The case can
also be disputed.