Re: Mauritius Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 01:54:18 -0700

Dear Mr Hawabhay,

Thank you for the clarification about the request for datasets.

According to www.icta.mu a Internet Quality of Service assessment
framework has been implemented by the Information and Communication
Technologies Authority to enable consumers to know exactly the level
of service they are obtaining for the price they are paying. There
has been significant discussion by residential internet subscribers
about the quality of their internet service. It is not possible to
identify an "internet service" dataset to request given the absence
of information on the www.icta.mu web site.

I would be grateful if the government could provide information about
the data being collected at the granular level. It will enable me to
determine which dataset to request. The information produced by
processing the dataset will help internet users in Mauritius assess
the level of service provided by their Internet Service Provider.

In an email dated 25 May, it is mentioned that "budget, labour and
other stats that are already in public domain". I assume that the it
is information or data already available on www.govmu.org The
following is from the copyright notice published on that web site (
http://www.govmu.org/English/Pages/CopyrightNotice.aspx ):

   "Apart from any use permitted by the Copyright Act, the State copyright
    protected material may be downloaded free of charge to file or printer
    without requiring specific permission, provided that any such State
    owned material being reproduced accurately and not being used in a
    derogated manner or in a misleading context."

Data which is in the public domain is not subject to restrictions
such as "not being used in a derogated manner" or "in a misleading
context". I would be grateful if the meaning of "public domain"
could be clarified within a copyright context.