FOSS In Educational Institutions

From: Cédric Poottaren <cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 18:04:36 +0400

Hi all,

As I have mentioned on a previous thread, the PSSA had recently requested all private schools (IDK if that applies to state schools as well) to legalise all their Computers running under Windows.

The PSSA has recommended to buy get Genuine Kit. But In the school where I'm currently working we have suggested the Management to go for Opensource software.

The distribution I proposed is Ubuntu Desktop. Implememting FOSS will definitely spare the management some money but I am concerned about the students, will they adapt to it? Even some of the Educators are not very well at ease with it.

Furthermore, the manuals currently being used are Windows UX orriented.

Anyone has any views about that?

Cédric Poottaren
Software developer
http://jcplaboratory.org