Re: Weekly Skype Discussion about Open Data

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:22:48 +0400

Hi,

Last night's skype discussion was very helpful for me to get some of my
thoughts clear for the upcoming Open Data workshops. Below is a summary
of what I now think are the important things to discuss. (This is a
blend of things we've previously discussed integrated with ideas from
the skype call)

*_A) General questions I would like answered at the Open Data workshops:_*

*1. What data will be made available?*
- Have they decided on any data sets?
- What kinds of datasets are on the table?
- What kinds of data are they not willing to provide?

*2. When will the data be made available?*
- What is the timeline for the first dataset to be released?
- What guarantees of this timeline do we have?
- Who do we complain to if the deadlines are not met?

*3. Who will be responsible for managing the data?*
- Is there one department responsible for managing the data (or multiple)
- Who do we complain to if there are problems with the data?

*4. Where will I be able to find the data?*
- I would like to be able to find all open government data starting from
1 web page
- The webpage can be static and just contain links to the actual
download pages for each source
- I do not have the need of a complex deliver mechanism, please
prioritise releasing the data soon

*5. What guarantees do we have that any data will actually be released?*
- There was a similar initiative in 2012 (See Open Government
Initiatives
<http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un-dpadm/unpan050413.pdf>
presentation)
- It is not clear if any data was actually released as a result of the
2012 initiative
- Why will this initiative be any different?

I would like to avoid arguments on technologies, and focus on what they
will deliver, and when it will be delivered.

*_B) Suggested position to take on asking for a specific dataset_*

- Exactly what data set do you want
- Which government department holds this data
- What would you do with the data
- How would the country benefit from it being open

*Example: *

I am interested in obtaining data relating to land and housing. The
specific data sets I am interested in are:
1. Sale of property - summary, deeds, site plans (Registrar General
Department)
2. Any data used by Valuation Department for valuing property prices
3. Planning application summary & details (Each district council)

These three datasets can be used for a number of things:
- Determine the past, current and near future property values
- Find average prices in an area (e.g. price of 150 toise land in Moka)
- Find market opportunities (areas where prices are rising or falling
compared to the overall market)
- Provide transparency in property transactions
- Provide transparency in the planning application process

This kind of data is freely available in other countries such as the UK
and Australia. Multiple successful businesses have been built around
aggregating, refining and publishing the data, and it has helped the
property sector become more transparent. In Mauritius these data sets
are currently either difficult to obtain, or secret.

Cheers,

Dan.

--
Daniel Laeng