RE: Weekly Skype Discussion about Open Data

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 13:34:08 -0700

Hello,

There was a discussion about Open Data this evening. The following
is my personal opinion. There are two objectives for the meeting we
are participating in are

    (a) Readiness assessment

    (b) Getting the datasets as Open Data

I would like to provide input in terms of the readiness assessment as
that is what the report will be about. Item (b) is what I would
really like to have as the information as that is more relevant to me
than a report.

The first meeting is for people who are interested in knowing what
Open Data is about.

The second meeting is about a "forum for discussions on the datasets
that may be provided or are in demand". It is not a good idea to
wait for that meeting and then ask about whether the information is
available as Open Data. It is up to the people interested in the
datasets to go and find the information and to make the request if
the datasets are currently not available.

Dan mentioned during the call that Open Government Data is about
transparency and accountability. There is an example at
https://openspending.org/uk-barnet-budget As Dan mentioned, access
to information is the way to ensure that Open Data is publicly
available. People in Mauritius are not interested in working on the topics.

There were some interesting questions from Shelly. How do we get
access to a dataset with up-to-date information? We also discussed
about have a place to find Open Government Data. We agreed that
having a simple web page with links to the data is good enough. We
are not asking for an Open Data Portal as that would require a
government project. It is better if each government agency is the
contact point for its datasets.