Re: Orange & Facebook

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 18:18:32 +0400

Hello Sruti,

On 28 May 2015 at 15:17, Sruti Jughdharree <saisruti1501_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Nadim,
>
> As a student, I don't think it's a good idea. Unlimited access to Facebook
> is a big distraction for students. This is not in my advantage. It won't
> help me.

You are a user. Lemme speak as an entrepreneur / business owner.

Just because of the fun / pleasures / entertainment of the students, should
I let the telcos / ISPs and my competitors (content/service providers) have
a joint-market agreement and put me in a disadvantageous position? Will my
business survive?

After your studies, you decide to start an online business because you had
a brilliant idea while you were a student. But unfortunately your ISP /
telco already has an agreement with a business more or less the same as
yours and the ISP/telco is providing zero-rating service for your
competitor. Will you be able to start your online business? Do you think
you'll have a level playing field?

*2nd situation:*
Now since Facebook is freely accessible to the whole population, as a
business, I try to build an application on Facebook, etc. Almost all my
business are done on Facebook and this is the main platform for my revenue.
Tomorrow the ISP decides to break the agreement between them and Facebook.
Users no longer have free and unlimited access to Facebook. Now they need
to pay to access Facebook. Do you think I'll get the same number of sales
on my app / website? Since my sales are going down, do I need to fire some
of my employees?

Best regards,
Nadim Attari