Re: Weekly Skype Discussion about Open Data

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 01:07:52 +0400

Hi SM,

My skype ID appears to be "zipzipuk" (I can't remember why). I'll be
ready to join at 20:50.

> There is a decision to set up an Open Data Portal. In my opinion,
> this could be used to delay the release of the datasets. My position
> is for the government to make the datasets publicly available as soon
> as possible.
I agree with your position.

> I'll list the discovery service for Open Data as something nice. Let
> me know if you agree to to that.
When I say "discovery service", I'm willing to be pragmatic: I'm happy
with a prominent web page with a (maintained!) list of Government Open
Data with links to offsite download pages for each. Having an open list
of Open Data feels like the first step of Open Data.

> Please see dataportal.statsmauritius.govmu.org As far as I know,
> there isn't any Open Data available from other government
> departments. A lot of information is paper-based. The difficulty is
> getting that as a file which can easily be parsed.
Yes, I had a look at dataportal.statsmauritius.govmu.org. I'm not sure
if it qualifies as open data (they've tried pretty hard to hide each
piece of data behind as many clicks as possible), although it's nice to
have a beginning.

I think several government departments are starting to scan their paper
based records into PDFs. Yes, this is difficult to parse, but I'd love
to see them making these available.

Cheers,

Dan.

--