Re: Weekly Skype Discussion about Open Data

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 01:23:07 +0400

Hi Ish,

> I would rather ask the OGD initiative falls under which ministry. It
> would then be easier to know who is responsible for what. Could we say
> the relevant ministry failed to achieve anything in 10 years?
Good point. I presume nobody has been responsible until now, and I'd
rather not wait 10 years for no result.

I think I read that the World Bank suggests that National Statistical
Offices might be a suitable custodian of open data. (Possibly in the
World Bank Technical Assessment document
<http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2014/12/01/000469252_20141201092022/Rendered/PDF/928100WP0Techn0Box385378B000PUBLIC0.pdf>,
but I can't find the quote right now.)

> ​From my experience, well, most of the projects are tackled by first
> having workshops with people who do not ask questions. Those who ask
> are then entitled to only 2 questions, not more
Sounds fabulous.

> ​People tend to think Google Map is the solution.
In most country Google Maps is a decent solution because Google
buys/licenses high quality mapping data, then displays it for free. In
Mauritius there appears to be no mapping data for them to buy, hence the
sub-standard state of the maps. Open mapping data should be used to
feed google maps, open street map, and others.

Dan.

--
Daniel Laeng
Software Developer